The Market–Frankford Line (aka the Blue Line or the El) is a subway and elevated line that runs east/west from the Frankford Transportation Center in the Frankford section of Philadelphia to 69th Street Transportation Center in Upper Darby, via Center City Philadelphia.
The Broad Street Line (aka the Orange Line) is a subway line that runs north/south along Broad Street in Philadelphia from Fern Rock Transportation Center in North Philadelphia to NRG Station/Sports Complex in South Philadelphia via Center City Philadelphia.
You can transfer - FOR FREE - from one line to other at City Hall/15th Street Station.
Whether you're cruising above the city on the MFL or below the city on the BSL, the how to ride is the same...
1. First things first. Download the SEPTA App for schedules, maps, and more!
2. Grab your SEPTA Key (Don’t have one? Click here for info!). The fare is $2 per ride; your first transfer is free, $1 for your next transfer if you have a SEPTA Key card. No Key card, no worry, the cost per ride is $2.50 which you can use to purchase a Quick Trip (ticket) from the Fare Kiosk at the station. You do not need exact change - the Fare Kiosk accepts cash, credit, and debit. Monthly and weekly TrailPasses and TransPasses are accepted as well as a One Day and Three Day Convenience Pass and a One Day Independence Pass. You can purchase a Key card from the Fare Kiosk which is recommended if you're making multiple trips.
3. Go to your station. Look for the Fare Kiosk if you need to purchase a fare.
4. To access the platform, tap your SEPTA Key card on the "validator" located on top of the turnstile or swipe your Quick Trip to unlock the turnstile. Before you do this - make sure you are on the right side!
5. Stand behind the yellow line while waiting for the train to arrive.
6. Board the train. (Passenger etiquette tip: Let people off before getting on.)
6. Take a seat and watch/listen for your stop.
8. Exit the train. To exit the station you do not need to tap or swipe, simply move through the turnstile or gate.
✔️ Ensure that strollers and shopping carts do not block the aisle and doorways.
✔️ Yield designated seats to Seniors & Disabled Riders.
✔️ Drinks in containers with a resealable lid and light, small snacks OK on board.
✔️ Don't share your music - use earbuds or headphones.
✔️ Keep phone calls brief, talk in a low voice, don't use the speaker, mute the ringer.
✔️ Check that you have all of your belongings before leaving the train. Be alert for unattended bags or items.
✔️ Do not block Operator Cab Door.
✔️ Do NOT move between cars.